Please click below on "Monterosso Guestbook" to leave your comment:
Please share your experience with other travelers! We look forward to your comments and recommendations.
Recommendations and ideas...
Check out the HISTORY of the Litte Pirate´s House right here!
Things to Do in Monterosso al Mare
here to read what the New York Times say about the 5 Terre!
We appreciate that Monterosso as the only village of the Cinque Terre offers plenty of variety and options.
Here are a few ideas of what you can do directly in Monterosso (other destinations, please refer to the separate point):
- A hiking tour on the beautiful panoramic paths the other villages of the Cinque Terre (and, if necessary, take the train or boat back)
- A boat trip to the other villages
- Beach holidays on one of the two beaches of Monterosso (possible to swimm from about May until the end of October)
- Strolling through the Via Roma and the other streets, enjoy a glass Sciaccetra in one of the many beautifully located wine bars and be enchanted by the unique atmosphere
- Enjoy the sunset at the statue of "San Francesco", located above Monterosso where the panorama on the other 4 cities of Cinque Terre enjoy (the perfect place for your marriage proposal!).
Only about 2 minutes away from the house (just up the stairs in front of the house and along the way, it leads directly run to the statue).
- A walk along the beautiful beach of Fegina ("new" district of Monterosso)
- A trip to the monastery "San Francesco" 2 min away from the house
- Watch the fishermen on the pier at the harbor while fishing
- Enjoy an alternative (and wallet-friendly) evening and just have a takeaway pizza and a bottle of wine (plastic glasses are in the house) at the romantic harbor of Monterosso, enjoy the
sunset, watching the waves of the sea and ....
You can have a very nice breakfast e.g.
- in front of our little house (use the folding tables, folding chairs and umbrella and get yourself some fresh bread at one of the local bakeries)
- on the terrace of the Ber Centrale (in the village center) or
- direktly on the beach on the beautiful terrace of the Bar „Eden“ in the village part "Fegina".
Shopping, internet cafe, banks, etc.
In Monterosso you can get just about everything you need.
Groceries are relatively expensive. We recommend the large market in La Spezia (working days until 1pm). Monterosso also features a market every Thursday. Additionally there´s a small vegetable
and fruit sale from the truck every Wednesday.
Monterosso features thee infrastructure of a small town. There is e.g. an internet shop,(Via Vittorio Emanuele) a laundry mat (Via Roma), banks (Via Roma) etc.
Excursions and day trips...
Monterosso is the perfect base for an active holiday. Herer are some ideas of what you could undertake:
- Hiking trips along the many hiking paths along the coast some at a charge of about € 8 p.p.. Still free of charge is the hiking path from Monterosso to Levanto
- 2 beautiful beaches in town with boat and kayak rental
- Train and boat trips to the other Cinque Terre villages
- Day trips to
- La Spezia (15 min)
- Genua (about 1h)
- Toscana / Pisa (about 1 h)
- On a cold day a museum visit in La Spezia or Genua
- MY FAVORITE -> Monterosso: Seafood restaurant “Belvedere” below the train bridget in the vilage center at the ssmall marina. Try to get a table on the beatutiful romantic terrace next to the fishermen´s boats
(in the summertime) and enjoy the beautiful view and unique atmosphere!
- MY FAVORITE ->Monterosso: tradional family restaurant „da Ely“ in the small street right next to the main church in the village center: Pizza, pasta, meat and fish dishes. Very good quality, good
atmosphere, decently priced. The restaurant itself is very nice.
- Monterosso: "da Eraldo", just down the stairs on Piazza Matteotti), a small modern trattoria style restauarnt. Offers traditional Italian dishes at decent
- Monterosso: wine bar "Enoteca da Eliseo" on the small square below the steps leading to our house (3 Piazza Matteotti): One of the most beautiful and charming
places on earth! Enjoy a glass of your favorite wine and let youself treat to the uniquie atmosphere!
- Above Monterosso (frree shuttle serive – Tel. 0187 – 817829): “Il Ciliegio”, spectacular panoramic view onto Monterosso (try the filled mussels...)
- Vernazza: “Gambero Rosso” directly at the marina. Unforgetable atmosphere atmospheere, very god cuisine (try the mixed seafood starter plate)
- Groppo (above Manarola): “Cappun Magru”, one of the very best reataurants in the Cinque Terre. Excellent cuisine, very good service (reservee at tel. 0187 – 920563, walking distance about
20min from Manarola or by public bus until 07:30 pm)
At the intersection Monterosso / Fegina driving towards Fegina, if you want to use one of the following parking options:
- at the winding steep street to the village free of charge (unfortunately very few parking options left; of course unguarded)
- at the parking lot right at this intersection (free of charge, unguarded, about 20min walking distance to the village)
- on the big parking lot at the end of the street leading into the village (guarded, charged)
To use the small new public garage in Monterosso, drive towards Monterosso to the end of the street. There you´ll find the garage (unguarded, charged).
As the parking fees are constantly being changed, we can´t give you a reliable price quote. But count on parking fees at about € 15 / day (long term parking fees also available).
The entire village is closed for traffic.
Monterosso in fall and winter
Monterosso and the Cinque Terre are all year round worth a visit.
Also during fall and winter the general atmosphere is not a typical winter landscape, as most of the trees are grees throughout the year and most lemon trees are full of lemons!
The advantage of traveling in fall or winter is that there are hardly any tourists around.
Enjoy the quietness in the villages! You can stroll through the streets with locals and you will not find any overcrowded hiking paths and restaurants.
All information on this website without guarantee and subject to change!